Thursday, May 10, 2012

Rare- second post of the day.

Later this afternoon after speaking with Bethany, showering, shaving, and scrubbing, guess who comes knocking on my door? Renee and Natey.

Renee was in tight, form-fitting pants and a silky v-neck shirt, cradling Natey on her hip. Her hair was done up in a bun with a few face-framing hairs sweeping her cheeks. Natey was...wide-eyed with drool dripping down his chin, which Renee playfully wiped up with his bib. The whole thing was both disgusting and adorable. Mainly the latter.

Next week she has auctions to attend for the Art Gallery she works at, which conflicts with her sister's schedule who usually watches Natey during the day. So, what does Renee ask me? Insane Renee who's only known me for 15 minutes of our lives, because I flooded out her bathroom? Yeah, that's right. Yup. She asks if I'd mind watching him for a few hours those nights. I didn't even try to conceal my initial, flabbergasted expression. I just stood there shocked, feeling trapped by her appeal and the stupid lies I told her the other night.

So, I told her, I'd check my schedule and get back to her asap. We exchanged numbers, and Natey tried to grab my arm. I did my best to laugh along and seem affectionate without touching him. I think it worked.


Anyway, after this exchange I go to the bathroom, wash my hands, find my phone, and call Bethany. The conversation essentially went like this:

"Bethany, Bethany? Hey! Me again."

"Hey bud, what's going on? Everything ok?"

"Yes...well...sort of."

"What's wrong Marty?"

"Well, you know that woman who lives below me? Whose bathroom I flooded and told I love kids?"

"Yeah, what about it? I thought you said she was cool with it and wasn't expecting you to cover the damage."

"Right, right, well it's not that. She came up here and just left. She asked me if i could babysit her SON a few nights next week."

"Haha oh, oh wow. Oh boy....well look, you don't seem ready for something like that..."

"I KNOW."

"But if you could be, it would be good for you-"

"I KNOW. I just. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO."

"You're not ready for something like that."

"Of course not!"

"Well, tell her you have work. Work obligations. She doesn't know you were fired"

"No, but I told her I was on sabbatical...."

"Christ Marty, why? Just, even why?"

"I- I don't know! I said a lot of false things! I had shut myself off for a while and missed social contact. And even with her worn appearance and the sweats she was donning, she looked so cute.She's very attractive and Natey, her kid, is a real charmer."

"Aaahh so there it is. You're attracted to her and want to get to know her."

"I don't know. Maybe."

"Look, I say you make something up. Regardless of whether you form and maintain any kind of friendship or relationship with this woman, lies are easier to make up for than going crazy while babysitting her toddler...and if you do that, any kind of contact will be out of the question."

"I know. I ...I want to do it.  I just don't know if I can."


No comments:

Post a Comment