Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Reacquainting myself with the outside world.

I spend all day in my apartment and rarely have any visitors. For a while it was perfect. There's no one to track in mud, germs, knock my belongings out of their designated places. No one questions how I spend most of my time sweeping my apartment's surfaces, as well as my body, with anti-bacterial spray, wipes, and sanitizers. I can comfortably tend to my raw, chapped hands after a days worth of cleaning with out the embarrassment of having to explain why. I can shower after every time I use the toilet with out the harassment of someone telling me how wasteful and pathetic it is. But after years of this kind of life, these little things no longer comfort or please me. They merely satisfy me. I miss living life like a normal person. I miss the company of others without the anxiety of how they interfere with my orderliness and cleanliness.

If not for the Internet, I would be completely alone. But I occasionally email with old friends, classmates, ex-coworkers, distant relatives. I read every section of the news everyday; I keep up with the rest of you. Now I have this blog, for those who care to keep up with me. Whoever finds this and sticks around to follow...I suppose I'm grateful. As well as pretty sorry for you.

Well...it's almost dinner time and my five o'clock shadow has officially made its unsightly appearance. I can no longer rest my chin on my hand, I loathe the feeling so much. It's time to shave and pre-heat the oven for my frozen chicken pot pie dinner. Unfortunately it's all I have until my grocery shopper returns for her weekly visit, which isn't until three days from now. At least I rarely work up an appetite.

Until next time,

Marty

5 comments:

  1. Hey man, don't let people get you down about how you live your life! Looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marty, I really wish I could live alone like you do. Sometimes I feel like people have no respect for others, is it so much to ask that people use a dollop of Purrell in intervals of 15 minutes? Were all sharing the same surfaces after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is life even like for a normal being? I can't imagine living any differently than the way I do now.

    Changing one's lifestyle. That seems so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try rubbing some alcohol on your toes, they are always dirty!

    ReplyDelete